Dealerware’s split billing capabilities allow your dealership to assign Daily Rate invoice balances to a single driver and up to 3 Additional Payers. Invoice balances can be split by Daily Rate amount or contract days.
Understand Key Terms
- Driver = The dealership customer associated with the contract, who may be responsible for some or none of the invoice balance.
- Program = A set of fleet, billing, and contract configurations that together represent a source of business (OEM warranty program, internal department, 3rd-party entity, etc.).
- Program Additional Payer = A Program that's selected during the split billing workflow, that acts as the payer who is responsible for some or all of the invoice balance.
- Custom Additional Payer = A payer that is manually created during the split billing workflow, that represents a 3rd-party entity, and is responsible for some or all of the invoice balance.
- When assigning Additional Payers to an invoice, you can expect each payer’s invoice balance to vary based on the corresponding Program’s billing settings.
- If you choose to create and assign a Custom Additional Payer to the invoice, the billing settings for the Program that was assigned to the contract during the booking workflow will be applied to that Additional Payer’s portion of the invoice.
Split Billing Example
The following example details how a dealership like yours may utilize the Split Billing feature to split a bill by source of business.
Your customer completes a 2-day contract, where the Program assigned to the contract: Program A has a Daily Rate of $50.00, creating an invoice balance of $100.00.
You would like to split the contract invoice by contract days and assign the balance to the two Program Additional Payers below, while excluding the driver from paying any of the balance.
Program B – Configuration: $25 Daily Rate taxed at 10%, Trip Fee of $10/day taxed at 10%
Program C – Configuration: $300.00 Daily Rate taxed at 20%, Trip Fee of $50/day taxed at 20%
Split the Bill & Assign a Balance to Program Additional Payer B
Split the contract by days and assign 1 contract day to the first Program Additional Payer: Program B
- Program B now has a balance of $38.50: 1 Daily Rate: $25/day + Daily Rate taxes: $2.50 + Trip Fee: $10.00 + Trip Fee taxes: $1.00
- The driver balance now includes 1 contract day at $50.00
Split the Bill & Assign a Balance to Program Additional Payer C
Assign the remaining driver balance of 1 contract day to the second Program Additional Payer: Program C.
- Program C now has a balance of $420.00: 1 Daily Rate: $300.00/day + Daily Rate taxes: $60.00 + Trip Fee: $50.00 + Trip Fee taxes: $10.00
- Now that you’ve assigned the entire invoice balance across two Program Additional Payers (B & C), the new invoice balance owed by those Program Additional Payers = $458.50.
- After successfully splitting the contract invoice and assigning the entire balance to the two Program Additional Payers, the Driver balance = $0.
It’s important to note that the initial contract invoice balance may vary from the sum of the Program Additional Payer balances as a result of varying Program daily rates, taxes, and custom fees.
Split a Bill
Currently, you can only split a bill using Dealerware Web. It’s preferred to split a bill after completing a contract to ensure the contract invoice balance is up-to-date and no additional balances are applied.
Learn how to split a bill below.
- Log in to Dealerware Web
- Select Customers from the main menu
- Locate and select the customer associated to the contract
- In Customer Details, select the Contracts tab
- Locate the contract associated to the invoice you wish to split
- Confirm the contract is finished, if not, finish it
- Select the Billing tab to access the contract invoice
- Navigate to the Payment Information section of the invoice
- Select Split this Bill
- Select any of the Program Additional Payers from the dropdown list, or scroll to the bottom
of the list and select Add Information Manually to create a Custom Additional Payer record
- Select Edit Amount Due
- Select Split By, then split by Days or Amount
- If split by days, you may check Recalculate Taxes and Fees to apply the
assigned Program’s taxes & fees to the number of days split
- If split by amount, you may check Include Tax to apply the assigned Program’s
taxes to the amount split
- To complete the split, select Update Amount
- Observe the Amount Due balances and Invoice items will update accordingly
- Once you have finalized the split, you may charge the customer
- Once you have collected payment from the Program Additional Payer(s), you can enable the Paid toggle in the Additional Billing Information section (see: Manage Unsettled Balances Resulting from Split Billing below)
*If you choose not to assign a Program Additional Payer to a split bill and create a Custom Additional Payer instead, and have checked the Recalculate Taxes and Fees OR Include Taxes checkboxes, the taxes and fees associated with the split bill will be calculated based on the contract Program’s settings.
*When splitting by days, if you choose not to select the Recalculate Taxes and Fees checkbox, the driver invoice will include the entire original tax and fee amount associated with the Program assigned to the contract, regardless of the days that have been split to the Program Additional Payer.
Manage Unsettled Balances Resulting from Split Billing
Learn how to manage unsettled balances resulting from split billing here.